Mayo Clinic researchers in brain conditions (neurology), brain surgery (neurosurgery), mental conditions (psychiatry), engineering and other areas study deep brain stimulation and research possible treatments for people who have many different conditions. Neurosurgeons collaborate with engineers in the Neural Engineering Laboratory to create new devices or adapt current devices.
See a list of publications by Mayo doctors on deep brain stimulation on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Read more about deep brain stimulation at Mayo Clinic in Neurosciences Update and in Clinical Update.
Read more about research into a new sensor that measures chemical levels in the brain in real time to help with placement of electrodes in deep brain stimulation from Mayo News.
Learn more about deep brain stimulation as a treatment for psychiatric disorders from the Mayo News blog.
May 14, 2014
- Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/deep_brain_stimulation/deep_brain_stimulation.htm. Accessed Oct. 13, 2012.
- Kluger BM, et al. Surgical treatment of movement disorders. Neurology Clinics. 2009;27:633.
- Brunicardi FC, ed., et al. Schwartz's Principles of Surgery. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=50. Accessed Oct. 11, 2012.
- Katz M, et al. Referring patients for deep brain stimulation. Archives of Neurology. 2011;68:1027.
- Ward HE, et al. Update on deep brain stimulation for neuropsychiatric disorders. Neurobiology of Disease. 2010;38:346.
- Magis D, et al. Neurostimulation therapies for primary headache disorders: present and future. Current Opinion in Neurology. 2012;25:269.
- Bronstein JM, et al. Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson disease. Archives of Neurology. 2011;68:165.
- Sankar T, et al. Novel applications of deep brain stimulation. Surgical Neurology International. 2012;3(suppl 1):S26.
- Deep brain stimulation. American Association of Neurological Surgeons. http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Deep%20Brain%20Stimulation.aspx. Accessed Oct. 13, 2012.
- Klassen BT (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 13, 2012.