Anaphylaxis is the most serious type of allergic reaction. It often occurs rapidly after exposure to an allergen and may be life-threatening.
A diabetic coma is a medical emergency. Minimize the effects with prompt treatment.
Hemolytic uremic syndrome is an uncommon condition that can cause life-threatening kidney failure, especially for children and older adults.
Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance often isn't serious, but it can increase your risk of certain diseases, including some types of cancer.
Multiple myeloma is cancer of your bone marrow plasma cells. The disease can make you prone to infections and damage your bones and kidneys.
Feb. 01, 2013
- Creatinine. American Association for Clinical Chemistry. http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/creatinine/multiprint.html. Accessed Nov. 8, 2012.
- Inker LA, et al. Assessment of kidney function. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 8, 2012.
- Kidney disease of diabetes. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/kdd/index.htm. Accessed Nov. 8, 2012.
- Anderson CF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 9, 2012.
- American Diabetes Association. Standards of medical care in diabetes — 2013. Diabetes Care. 2013:36:S1.