Questions for the patient to consider before pursuing cosmetic surgery:
- What are my motives for wanting to change how I look?
- What are the specific attributes of my appearance that I want to change?
- Do I have realistic expectations about the results of the surgery?
- What aspects of my life will be affected such as family, work, travel and social obligations?
- What time in my life will work best so that I have the greatest chance for a successful recovery?
- Have I talked about my concerns and questions openly with my health care provider?
Questions to ask the cosmetic surgeon:
It is a good idea to bring a notepad to write down answers.
- What are your qualifications?
- How long have you been board-certified?
- How many procedures have you done similar to the one I'm considering?
- What other health care professionals are involved in my care?
- What side effects can I expect?
- What results can I expect?
- What are the possible complications of the cosmetic surgery I am considering?
- What kind of help will I need at home following surgery?
- How long before I see the final results of my surgery?
- How long before I can go back to work and/or resume exercise?
- Are there complications unique to my health history?
- Will I have any scars and if yes, what will they look like?
- If my procedure requires stitches, when will they be removed?
- How much does the procedure cost?
Questions to ask about a procedure:
July 20, 2016
- What does the procedure do? What does it not do?
- What are the risks and complications associated with this procedure?
- How long is the recovery period?
- Can I expect much discomfort?
- Will I have scars?
- Are there other procedures I should consider at the same time?
- Will I need a physical examination prior to surgery?
- How long will the results last?
- How much does it cost?