Your doctor may recommend that you have a coronary angiogram if you have:
- Symptoms of coronary artery disease, such as chest pain (angina)
- Pain in your chest, jaw, neck or arm that can't be explained by other tests
- New or increasing chest pain (unstable angina)
- A heart defect you were born with (congenital heart disease)
- Abnormal results on a noninvasive heart stress test
- Other blood vessel problems or a chest injury
- A heart valve problem that requires surgery
Because there's a small risk of complications, angiograms aren't usually done until after noninvasive heart tests have been performed, such as an electrocardiogram, an echocardiogram or a stress test.
Nov. 09, 2016
- Angiogram. Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions. http://www.secondscount.org/tests/test-detail?cid=def4661c-6a8d-4e13-a7c7-0751770609ee#.V8OOdDUmGLU. Accessed Aug. 29, 2016.
- Fuster V, et al., eds. Cardiac catheterization, cardiac angiography, and coronary blood flow and pressure measurements. In: Hurst's The Heart. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 26, 2016.
- Cardiac catheterization. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/SymptomsDiagnosisofHeartAttack/Cardiac-Catheterization_UCM_451486_Article.jsp#.V8OeeTUmGLU. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Diagnostic cardiac catheterization and coronary angiography. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 26, 2016.
- Cardiac catheterization. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cath/#. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Catheterization and angiography. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.
- Angiogram. Society for Vascular Surgery. https://vascular.org/print/patient-resources/vascular-tests/angiogram. Accessed Aug. 28, 2016.