It's important to use male condoms carefully, correctly and consistently. Here's how to correctly use a condom:
- Put on a condom before any sexual contact. Keep in mind, STIs can be passed on and pregnancy can occur before male sexual climax (ejaculation).
- Open the package carefully. Don't use your teeth or fingernails.
- Apply lubricant outside of the condom. This might not be needed if you use a condom that's pre-lubricated.
- Pull your foreskin back. This is only necessary if you're not circumcised.
- Place the tip of the rolled-up condom over your penis. The penis should be erect before you put on the condom. The rolled rim should be on the outside. If you start to put on the condom and realize that the rolled side is on the inside, throw it away and use another condom.
- Gently press the tip of the condom to remove air. This isn't necessary if the condom has a reservoir tip.
- Roll the condom down. Make sure it covers the entire penis, and remove any air bubbles.
- After sex, grasp the base of the condom before you remove it. This will prevent the condom from coming off before you pull away from your partner.
- Dispose of the condom in the trash. Don't flush condoms down the toilet.