- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in brain and nervous system conditions (neurologists), sports medicine, physical medicine and rehabilitation (physiatrists) and others have experience and expertise diagnosing and treating people with concussions and other brain injuries. Doctors have evaluated children, adolescents and adults, as well as youth, collegiate and professional athletes.
- Team approach. An integrated team of neurologists, sports medicine specialists, physiatrists, and doctors trained in brain and mental health conditions (neuropsychologists), brain imaging (neuroradiologists), brain surgery (neurosurgeons), physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, emergency medicine, and other areas offer comprehensive care to adults, adolescents and children with concussions.
- Concussion evaluation options. All Mayo Clinic campuses offer baseline concussion testing, comprehensive brain health evaluations, and detailed rehabilitation, wellness and performance programs for athletes before and after they have had concussions. Mayo Clinic in Arizona also offers teleconcussion services in which athletes can be evaluated remotely from anywhere in the world.
- Concussion education. Mayo Clinic staff educates medical providers at local and national meetings about the importance of proper prevention, identification, treatment and rehabilitation from concussion.
- Research. Mayo Clinic neurologists, sports medicine specialists and basic science researchers are studying the cellular basis of concussion and new strategies to diagnose concussion, measure brain recovery and identify new treatment strategies.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Watch Mayo Clinic neurologist David W. Dodick, M.D., explain the concussion testing program at Mayo Clinic in Arizona. Also watch Dr. Dodick and other Mayo Clinic doctors discuss autonomic tests and concussion management, return to play after a concussion, and concussions and women.
Baseline Concussion Testing - Mayo Clinic
Autonomic tests and concussion management
Return to play after a concussion
May 15, 2013
Concussions and women