Adult ADHD can lead to challenges at work, in relationships and in other areas of your life. The right treatment can make a big difference.
Do you feel trapped in your own home? Do you worry about having a panic attack? Find out how agoraphobia can be treated.
Lying, manipulation and violence without remorse are hallmarks of antisocial personality disorder. Mental health treatment can help reduce some symptoms over time.
With body dysmorphic disorder, you have an extremely negative body image and may have numerous cosmetic procedures, with little satisfaction.
Don't let gambling get out control. Review treatment strategies and coping skills for compulsive gambling.
Cyclic vomiting syndrome can last for hours or days and shares many triggers with migraines.
People with dissociative disorders escape their reality in involuntary, unhealthy ways, ranging from suppressing memories to assuming alternate identities. Recovery is possible.
Children of all ages experience headaches, but the causes aren't all the same. Here's how to help your child.
Indigestion can ruin meals and make you feel uncomfortable. Take steps to prevent symptoms like upset stomach, bloating and pain.
Sleepless nights? Insomnia includes difficulty going to sleep, staying asleep or going back to sleep after you awaken. Insomnia may be temporary or chronic.
Looking for a mental health provider but not sure where to start? Here are tips, questions to ask and issues to consider.
Migraine with aura is a usually severe headache that's accompanied by visual disturbances, such as flashes of light, zigzagging patterns or blind spots.
Irresistible urges to repetitively count, check or wash are common obsessive-compulsive disorder symptoms. Treatment can help, so don't let shame hold you back.
Personality disorders affect the way you think, behave and relate to others. Learn about symptoms and treatments.
Phobias are persistent, unreasonable fears that can affect many aspects of your life. Common phobias include a fear of snakes, open spaces and social situations.
Living through a traumatic event can leave lasting scars. Medications, therapy and coping skills can help you regain a sense of control.
People with schizoid personality disorder tend to be loners who have trouble expressing themselves and maintaining intimate relationships.
People with schizotypal personalities have few friends, act peculiar and often entertain distorted perceptions of reality.
Solitary rectal ulcer syndrome, a rare condition, may be caused by chronic constipation. Dietary changes may help mild cases.
TMJ disorders are painful conditions centered where your jawbone attaches to your skull. The pain may be temporary or chronic.
Feb. 21, 2013
- Lebow J. Overview of psychotherapy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 22, 2013.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy. National Association of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapists. http://www.nacbt.org/whatiscbt.aspx. Accessed Jan. 22, 2013.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)? National Alliance on Mental Illness. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=About_Treatments_and_Supports&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=7952. Accessed Jan. 22, 2013.
- Understanding psychotherapy and how it works. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/understanding-psychotherapy.aspx. Accessed Jan. 22, 2013.
- Let's talk facts about psychotherapy. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psychiatry.org/mental-health/lets-talk-facts-brochures/lets-talk-facts-brochures. Accessed Jan. 22, 2013.
- How to choose a psychologist. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/choose-therapist.aspx. Accessed Jan. 22, 2103.
- Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct: Including 2010 amendments. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx?item=1. Accessed Jan. 22, 2013.
- Kung S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 31, 2013.