In general, there's little risk in getting cognitive behavioral therapy. Because it can explore painful feelings, emotions and experiences, you may feel emotionally uncomfortable at times. You may cry, get upset or feel angry during a challenging session, or you may also feel physically drained.
Some forms of CBT, such as exposure therapy, may require you to confront situations you'd rather avoid — such as airplanes if you have a fear of flying. This can lead to temporary stress or anxiety.
However, working with a skilled therapist will minimize any risks. The coping skills you learn can help you manage and conquer negative feelings and fears.
Feb. 23, 2016
- Lebow J. Overview of psychotherapies. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy. National Association of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapists. http://www.nacbt.org/whatiscbt.htm. Accessed Jan. 10, 2016.
- Psychotherapy. National Alliance on Mental Illness. https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Treatment/Psychotherapy. Accessed Jan. 10, 2016.
- Understanding psychotherapy and how it works. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/understanding-psychotherapy.aspx. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct: Including 2010 amendments. American Psychological Association. http://www.apa.org/ethics/code/index.aspx. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- Psychotherapies. National Institute of Mental Health. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/psychotherapies/index.shtml. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- PTSD: National Center for PTSD — Types of therapists. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/therapy-med/types_of_therapists.asp. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- PTSD: National Center for PTSD — Choosing a therapist. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/treatment/therapy-med/choosing_a_therapist.asp. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- HIPPA privacy rule and sharing information related to mental health. HHS.gov. http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-professionals/special-topics/mental-health/index.html. Accessed Jan. 11, 2016.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 21, 2016.
Cognitive behavioral therapy