You might need to have a full bladder for chorionic villus sampling, so drink plenty of fluids before your appointment.
Your health care provider will explain the procedure and ask you to sign a consent form before the procedure begins. Consider asking someone to accompany you to the appointment for emotional support or to drive you home afterward.
Oct. 17, 2015
- Ghidini A. Chorionic villus sampling. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2015.
- Frequently asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ164. Diagnostic tests for birth defects. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Diagnostic-Tests-for-Birth-Defects. Accessed July 31, 2015.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Prenatal diagnosis. In: Williams Obstetrics. 24th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 3, 2015.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Prenatal genetic diagnosis. In: Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Aug. 3, 2015.
- Frequently asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ027. The Rh factor: How it can affect your pregnancy. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/The-Rh-Factor-How-It-Can-Affect-Your-Pregnancy. Accessed July 31, 2015.
- Frequently asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ171. Cystic fibrosis: Prenatal screening and diagnosis. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Cystic-Fibrosis-Prenatal-Screening-and-Diagnosis. Accessed July 31, 2015.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 88: Invasive Prenatal Testing for Aneuploidy. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2007;110:1459.
- Gibbs RS, et al. Prenatal diagnosis. In: Danforth's Obstetrics and Gynecology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008. http://www.danforthsobgyn.com. Accessed Aug. 3, 2015.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Birth defects. In: Your Pregnancy and Childbirth Month to Month. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2010:343.
- Patient information: Chorionic villus sampling. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 4, 2015.
- Beckman CRB, et al. Genetics and genetic disorders in obstetrics and gynecology. In: Obstetrics and Gynecology. 7th ed. Baltimore, Md.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2014.
- Vincent Corbett J, et al. Diagnostic procedures related to childbearing years. Laboratory Tests and Diagnostic Procedures with Nursing Diagnoses. 8th ed. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Pearson Education, Inc.; 2013.
- Fischbach FT, et al. Prenatal diagnosis and tests of fetal well-being. In: A Manual of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2014.
- Pagana KD, et al. Maternal/Fetal evaluation. In: Mosby's Manual of Diagnostic and Laboratory Tests. 5th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Elsevier Mosby; 2014.
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine. SMFM Consult: Risks of chorionic villus sampling and amniocentesis. Contemporary OB/GYN. 2014; 59; e.1. http://contemporaryobgyn.modernmedicine.com/contemporary-obgyn/news/RC/smfm-consult-risks-chorionic-villus-sampling-and-amniocentesis. Accessed October 13, 2015.