Choline C-11 PET scan is an imaging test used to help detect sites of prostate cancer that have returned despite treatment (recurrent prostate cancer). It may be used when other imaging has not been helpful. Choline C-11 PET scan is a positron emission tomography (PET) scan that uses a special chemical tracer called Choline C-11 Injection. At Mayo Clinic, a low-dose computerized tomography (CT) scan is done at the same time to help further show internal anatomy.
Choline C-11 PET scan may help doctors detect possible sites of recurrent prostate cancer that more-conventional imaging tests can't identify. Locating recurrent prostate cancer sooner may allow your doctor to identify small, isolated deposits of cancer — within the prostate and outside of the prostate — that can be targeted for more-effective treatment.
Choline C-11 PET scan uses a radioactive form of the vitamin choline. A small amount of the tracer is injected into a vein in your arm just before the scan is done. Prostate cancer cells in your body readily absorb the tracer. This can help doctors detect areas of prostate cancer cells throughout your body. A biopsy to remove some cells for lab testing is then done to confirm the presence of recurrent prostate cancer.
Mayo Clinic's approach
Nov. 19, 2015
- Choline C-11 injection (prescribing information). Rochester, Minn. Mayo Clinic PET Radiochemistry Facility; 2012. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm?fuseaction=Search.Label_ApprovalHistory#labelinfo. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Prostate cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Fanti S, et al. PET/CT with 11C-choline for evaluation of prostate cancer patients with biochemical recurrence: Meta-analysis and critical review of available data. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging. In press. Accessed Oct. 12, 2015.
- Murphy RC, et al. The utility of 11C-choline PET/CT for imaging prostate cancer: A pictorial guide. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2011;196:1390.
- Fuccio C, et al. Choline PET/CT for prostate cancer: Main clinical applications. European Journal of Radiology. 2011;80:50.
- Fox JJ, et al. Molecular imaging of prostate cancer. Current Opinion in Urology. 2012;22:320.
- Kitajima K, et al. Update on positron emission tomography for imaging of prostate cancer. International Journal of Urology. 2014;21:12.
- Mitchell CR, et al. Operational characteristics of 11C-choline positron emission tomography/computerized tomography for prostate cancer with biochemical recurrence after initial treatment. The Journal of Urology. 2013;189:1308.