Blood tests can offer clues to your heart health. Here are tests you might encounter in the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of heart disease.
Childhood obesity can cause health problems that last a lifetime. When should you worry? And what can you do?
Being obese is more than a cosmetic concern. It's a serious health risk. Learn more about the causes, treatment and prevention of obesity.
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common condition characterized by irregular menstrual periods, excess hair growth (hirsutism) and obesity.
Sudden weakness, dizziness and loss of balance might be indications of a transient ischemic attack. And the attack may warn of an impending stroke.
Jan. 25, 2013
- Executive summary. Third report of the expert panel on the detection, evaluation and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (adult treatment panel III). Bethesda, Md.: National Heart, Lung, and blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol. Accessed Nov. 6, 2012.
- What is cholesterol? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbc/. Accessed Nov. 8, 2012.
- What are blood tests? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/bdt/. Accessed Nov. 8, 2012.
- What your cholesterol levels mean. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/AboutCholesterol/What-Your-Cholesterol-Levels-Mean_UCM_305562_Article.jsp. Accessed Nov. 8, 2012.
- Ask Mayo Expert. Screening recommendations for asymptomatic men. Rochester, Minn. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. 2010.
- Cholesterol. American Association for Clinical Chemistry. http://www.labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/cholesterol/test.html. Accessed Nov. 6, 2012.
- Expert panel on integrated guidelines for cardiovascular health and risk reduction in children and adolescents: Summary report. Pediatrics. 2011;128:S213.
- Women and cholesterol. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/UnderstandYourRiskforHighCholesterol/Women-and-Cholesterol_UCM_305565_Article.jsp. Accessed Nov. 8, 2012.
- Behrenbeck T (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 3, 2012.