Complementary and alternative medicine encompasses many different therapies. Get the basics here.
A migraine isn't an ordinary headache. In addition to severe head pain, it can cause nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound.
Rebound headaches — Is your pain medication causing more headaches than it cures?
Whiplash is a neck injury often linked to auto accidents. Discover which treatments work and which don't.
Oct. 10, 2012
- AskMayoExpert. Chiropractic treatment. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Chiropractic: An introduction. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/acupuncture/introduction.htm. Accessed Aug. 16, 2012.
- Shekelle P. Spinal manipulation in the treatment of musculoskeletal pain. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 16, 2012.
- Plastaras CT, et al. Complementary and alternative treatment for neck pain: Chiropractic, acupuncture, TENS, massage, yoga, tai chi and Feldenkrais. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Clinics of North America. 2011;22:521.
- Rubinstein SM, et al. Spinal manipulative therapy for chronic low-back pain.co Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://www.thecochranelibrary.com/details/file/1018215/CD008112.html. Accessed Aug. 16, 2012.
- Knight CL, et al. Treatment of acute low back pain. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 17, 2012.
- Bauer BA. Mayo Clinic Book of Alternative Medicine. 2nd ed. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2010:138.
- Gay RE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 22, 2012.