- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in blood vessel surgery (vascular surgeons), brain surgery (neurosurgeons), brain conditions (neurologists), heart and blood vessel conditions (cardiologists), and imaging techniques (interventional neuroradiologists) have experience evaluating and treating people with carotid artery disease who may need carotid endarterectomy. Mayo doctors perform more than 230 carotid endarterectomy procedures each year.
- Multidisciplinary team. Mayo Clinic doctors in many areas work together as a multidisciplinary team to provide you with coordinated care.
- Treatment expertise. Mayo Clinic doctors and surgeons have expertise performing complex surgeries, including carotid endarterectomy, to treat carotid artery disease.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors research new and improved treatments for carotid artery disease and conduct clinical trials.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals in neurology and neurosurgery and for heart and heart surgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Dec. 18, 2014
- What is carotid artery disease? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/catd/. Accessed Oct. 3, 2014.
- What is carotid endarterectomy? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/carend/. Accessed Oct. 3, 2014.
- Mohler ER, et al. Carotid endarterectomy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 3, 2014.
- Mohler ER, et al. Management of asymptomatic carotid atherosclerotic disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 22, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 7, 2014.