- Experience. Mayo Clinic vascular surgeons, neurosurgeons and cardiologists have experience performing carotid angioplasty and stenting to treat carotid artery disease, placing around 900 stents annually.
- Cutting-edge research. Mayo Clinic doctors are directly involved in research into the treatment of carotid stenosis, most notably in leading the CREST and CREST2 trials.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals in neurology and neurosurgery and for heart and heart surgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
June 07, 2014
- Cameron JL, et al. Current Surgical Therapy. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014:823.
- Carotid artery disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/catd/catd_all.html. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Chaikof EL, et al. Atlas of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014:86.
- Mohler ER, et al. Management of symptomatic carotid atherosclerotic disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Angioplasty and vascular stenting. Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=angioplasty. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Mantese VA, et al. The carotid revascularization endarterectomy versus stenting trial (CREST): Stenting versus carotid endarterectomy for carotid disease. Stroke. 2010;41:S31.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 20, 2014.
- Cloft H (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 16, 2014.