- Experience. Mayo Clinic vascular surgeons, neurosurgeons and cardiologists have experience performing carotid angioplasty and stenting to treat carotid artery disease, placing around 900 stents annually.
- Cutting-edge research. Mayo Clinic doctors are directly involved in research into the treatment of carotid stenosis, most notably in leading the CREST and CREST2 trials.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals in neurology and neurosurgery and for heart and heart surgery.
June 07, 2014
- Cameron JL, et al. Current Surgical Therapy. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014:823.
- Carotid artery disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/catd/catd_all.html. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Chaikof EL, et al. Atlas of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014:86.
- Mohler ER, et al. Management of symptomatic carotid atherosclerotic disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Angioplasty and vascular stenting. Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=angioplasty. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Mantese VA, et al. The carotid revascularization endarterectomy versus stenting trial (CREST): Stenting versus carotid endarterectomy for carotid disease. Stroke. 2010;41:S31.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 20, 2014.
- Cloft H (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 16, 2014.