Because carotid angioplasty and stenting is a recent, less invasive procedure, researchers are still studying its long-term ability to treat carotid artery disease. Mayo Clinic investigators conducted the Carotid Revascularization Endarterectomy Versus Stenting Trial (CREST), which compared carotid endarterectomy and carotid angioplasty and stenting outcomes.
Mayo Clinic publications
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on carotid angioplasty and stenting on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Jun. 07, 2014
- Cameron JL, et al. Current Surgical Therapy. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014:823.
- Carotid artery disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/catd/catd_all.html. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Chaikof EL, et al. Atlas of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014:86.
- Mohler ER, et al. Management of symptomatic carotid atherosclerotic disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Angioplasty and vascular stenting. Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=angioplasty. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Mantese VA, et al. The carotid revascularization endarterectomy versus stenting trial (CREST): Stenting versus carotid endarterectomy for carotid disease. Stroke. 2010;41:S31.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 20, 2014.
- Cloft H (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 16, 2014.