For most people, carotid angioplasty and stenting increase blood flow through the previously blocked artery and reduce the risk or symptoms of stroke.
Seek emergency medical care if your signs and symptoms return, such as trouble walking or speaking, numbness on one side of your body, or other symptoms similar to those you had before your procedure, contact your doctor immediately.
Carotid angioplasty and stenting aren't appropriate treatment for everyone. Your doctor can determine if the benefits outweigh the potential risks.
Because carotid angioplasty is newer than traditional carotid surgery, long-term results are still under investigation. Talk to your doctor about what results you might expect and what type of follow-up is needed after your procedure.
Lifestyle changes will help you maintain your good results:
Jun. 07, 2014
- Don't smoke.
- Lower your cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Control other conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea.
- Exercise regularly.
- Cameron JL, et al. Current Surgical Therapy. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014:823.
- Carotid artery disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/catd/catd_all.html. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Chaikof EL, et al. Atlas of Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014:86.
- Mohler ER, et al. Management of symptomatic carotid atherosclerotic disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Angioplasty and vascular stenting. Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=angioplasty. Accessed April 10, 2014.
- Mantese VA, et al. The carotid revascularization endarterectomy versus stenting trial (CREST): Stenting versus carotid endarterectomy for carotid disease. Stroke. 2010;41:S31.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 20, 2014.
- Cloft H (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 16, 2014.