Carcinoid tumors are rare, slow-growing cancerous tumors that most often occur in the gastrointestinal tract or in the lungs.
Celiac disease is an immune reaction to gluten, a protein found in certain foods. As a result, the body is unable to absorb some important nutrients.
Esophageal varices — enlarged veins in the esophagus — are a serious complication of liver diseases such as cirrhosis.
Sep. 27, 2012
- Dye C, et al. Introduction to small bowel endoscopy methods. Techniques in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2012;14:83.
- Understanding capsule endoscopy. American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. http://www.asge.org/PatientInfoIndex.aspx?id=390. Accessed July 2, 2012.
- Rolniak D, et al. Complications of small bowel endoscopy. Techniques in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2012;14:117.
- de Ridder L, et al. Small bowel endoscopy in children. Best Practice & Research Clinical Gastroenterology. 2012;26:337.
- Eliakim R. Video capsule endoscopy of the small bowel. Current Opinion in Gastroenterology. 2010;26:129.
- AskMayoExpert. When is capsule endoscopy indicated in patients with gastrointestinal (GI) tract bleeding? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed July 2, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. What tests are needed to evaluate a patient with gastrointestinal (GI) tract bleeding in whom upper endoscopy and colonoscopy are normal? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Preparing for capsule endoscopy. American Gastroenterological Association. http://www.gastro.org/patient-center/procedures/capsule-endoscopy. Accessed July 2, 2012.