Cancer rehabilitation is a program that helps people with cancer to maintain and restore physical and emotional well-being. Cancer rehabilitation is available before, during and after cancer treatment.
Cancer rehabilitation involves many types of specialists working together to develop a personal rehabilitation plan that considers your preferences, strengths and goals.
Participating in the cancer rehabilitation program may help you experience a fuller or quicker recovery. Cancer rehabilitation professionals at Mayo Clinic offer the help and expertise that you need to:
- Improve your endurance, strength and mobility
- Increase your confidence and self-esteem
- Make the activities of daily living and caring for yourself easier
- Help you cope with anxiety, distress or other emotional issues
- Reduce fatigue, pain and other lingering side effects
- Return to work
The cancer rehabilitation services in Minnesota can benefit all people with cancer who experience a change in quality of life after diagnosis, including all types and stages of cancer.
- Teamwork. Your cancer rehabilitation team works closely with your doctor and includes a variety of experts, such as physiatrists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, social workers, psychologists, rehabilitation nurses and other experts as needed.
- Personalized care. Mayo Clinic cancer rehabilitation professionals create a personalized care plan for you based on your needs. A plan can be created to address a number of issues, such as memory and thinking changes, loss of flexibility and movement, swelling caused by abnormalities in your lymphatic system (lymphedema), muscle weakening, numbness, pain and distress, among many others.
- Variety of treatments. Your cancer rehabilitation program could include retraining of muscle groups, exercise, bracing and other therapies to help you improve your overall function and resume regular activities. Complementary and integrative medicine such as massage therapy, acupuncture, counseling and nutrition also can help you recover.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute Comprehensive Cancer Center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic works with hundreds of insurance companies and is an in-network provider for millions of people. In most cases, Mayo Clinic doesn't require a physician referral. Some insurers require referrals or may have additional requirements for certain medical care. All appointments are prioritized on the basis of medical need.
Cancer rehabilitation services at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota are provided by experts in physical medicine and rehabilitation
and medical social work
, among others.
For appointments or more information, call the Central Appointment Office at 507-538-3270 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central time, Monday through Friday or complete an online appointment request form.
- U.S. Patients
- International Patients
See information on patient services at the three Mayo Clinic locations, including transportation options and lodging.
Researchers at Mayo Clinic are studying cancer rehabilitation to better understand the needs of people with cancer. Researchers are also examining the best treatments and therapies for helping people with cancer recover. Cancer rehabilitation research is ongoing.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on cancer rehabilitation on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Aug. 08, 2012