A buttock lift is a cosmetic surgical procedure to improve the appearance of the buttocks. It's typically done as part of a belt lipectomy or lower body lift to contour the buttocks, groin, thighs and abdomen.
During a buttock lift, excess skin and fat are removed from the buttocks. The remaining skin is then repositioned to create a more toned look.
You might choose to have a buttock lift if your buttocks appear saggy due to weight loss, aging or genetics. A buttock lift can boost your body image.
Aug. 21, 2013
- Mang WL. Manual of Aesthetic Surgery. 2nd ed. New York, N.Y.: Springer; 2010:379.
- Ali A. Contouring of the gluteal region in women: Enhancement and augmentation. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 2011;67:209.
- Shermak MA. Body contouring. Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;129:963e.
- Neligan PC, et al. Plastic Surgery. Vol. 2. 3rd ed. London, England: Elsevier Saunders; 2013:568.
- Kitzinger HB, et al. Prospective study on complications following a lower body lift after massive weight loss. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. 2013;66:231.
- What is a body lift? American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/body-lift.html. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- Jacobson SR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 24, 2013.
- Saint-Cyr M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 29, 2013.