Bronchoscopy is a procedure that lets doctors look at your lungs and air passages. It's usually performed by a doctor who specializes in lung disorders (a pulmonologist). During bronchoscopy, a thin tube (bronchoscope) is passed through your nose or mouth, down your throat and into your lungs.
Bronchoscopy is most commonly performed using a flexible bronchoscope. However, in certain situations, such as if there's a lot of bleeding in your lungs or a large object is stuck in your airway, a rigid bronchoscope may be needed.
Common reasons for needing bronchoscopy are persistent cough, infection and something unusual seen on a chest X-ray or other test.
Bronchoscopy can also be used to obtain samples of mucus or tissue, or to remove foreign bodies or other blockages from the airways or lungs.
Mayo Clinic's approach
Feb. 19, 2016
- AskMayoExpert. Bronchoscopy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 2015.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. What is bronchoscopy? http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/bron. Accessed Jan. 20, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Bronchoscopy: Looking at your airways. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Du Rand IA, et al. British Thoracic Society guideline for diagnostic flexible bronchoscopy in adults. Thorax 2013;68:i1.
- Islam S. Flexible bronchoscopy: Indications and contraindications. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 20, 2016.
- Islam S. Flexible bronchoscopy: Equipment, procedure, and complications. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 20, 2016.
- Spiro SG, et al. Bronchoscopy. In: Clinical Respiratory Medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 20, 2016.
- Mullon JJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 22, 2016.
- Kern RM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 22, 2016.
- Andersen HA, Fontana RS. Transbronchoscopic lung biopsy for diffuse pulmonary diseases: technique and results in 450 cases. Chest. 1972;62:125.
- About the American Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology. http://aabronchology.org/about/. Accessed Jan. 25, 2016.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 26, 2016.