- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in plastic surgery (plastic surgeons) perform hundreds of breast reduction surgeries each year for women and men.
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic board-certified plastic surgeons work together as a team to perform your surgery.
- Individualized treatment plan. Mayo Clinic doctors work with you to develop the most appropriate treatment for you. Doctors will discuss your goals and desired expectations of breast reduction surgery.
About breast reduction surgery
Mayo Clinic doctors trained in plastic surgery (plastic surgeons) will discuss surgery options and techniques with you and determine the most appropriate treatment to meet your needs. Your plastic surgeon will discuss with you your expectations, possible risks and complications, associated costs, and other considerations.
Breast reduction surgery may include several options, including breast reduction surgery through incisions on your skin or breast reduction using liposuction to remove the excess fat in your breasts.
In breast reduction surgery, your surgeon may make an incision around the areola, a vertical incision down to the crease and also along the breast crease. Your surgeon will remove excess breast tissue and skin, reshape the breast, and reposition the nipple and areola. The size of the areola also may be reduced. Your surgeon and treatment team will attempt to achieve symmetry between your breasts, but some variation in breast size and shape may occur. Your incision scars may fade over time, but they will never completely disappear.
Oct. 08, 2011
- Spector D, et al. Not what I expected: Informational needs of women undergoing breast surgery. Plastic Surgical Nursing. 2010;30:70.
- Sabino N, et al. Self-esteem and functional capacity outcomes following reduction mammaplasty. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2008;28:417.
- Breast reduction. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/breast-reduction.html. Accessed Aug. 16, 2011.
- Henry SL, et al. Risk factors and complications in reduction mammaplasty: Novel associations and preoperative assessment. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2009;124:1040.
- Spear ME, et al. The impact of reduction mammaplasty on breast sensation: An analysis of multiple surgical techniques. Annals of Plastic Surgery. In press. Accessed Sept. 26, 2011.
- Tenna S, et al. Postural variations after breast reduction: Introduction of a new technique to achieve an objective analysis. Annals of Plastic Surgery. In press. Accessed Sept. 26, 2011.
- Thibaudeau S, et al. The effects of breast reduction on successful breastfeeding: A systematic review. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. 2010;63:1688.