- Experience. Each year, Mayo Clinic specialists perform more than 190 breast reduction surgeries.
- Expertise. The physicians who perform breast reduction surgery at Mayo Clinic are all board-certified specialists. You have access to the world-class physicians, facilities and services of Mayo Clinic.
- Time for you. Your Mayo Clinic surgeon will discuss with you your goals and desired expectations of breast reduction surgery.
- New ideas. Researchers at Mayo Clinic continue to study ways to improve breast reduction surgery. You have access to the expertise of Mayo's clinician-researchers.
About breast reduction surgery
Mayo Clinic doctors trained in plastic surgery (plastic surgeons) will discuss surgery options and techniques with you and determine the most appropriate treatment to meet your needs. Your plastic surgeon will discuss with you your expectations, possible risks and complications, associated costs, and other considerations.
Breast reduction surgery may include several options, including breast reduction surgery through incisions on your skin or breast reduction using liposuction to remove the excess fat in your breasts.
In breast reduction surgery, your surgeon may make an incision around the areola, a vertical incision down to the crease and also along the breast crease. Your surgeon will remove excess breast tissue and skin, reshape the breast, and reposition the nipple and areola. The size of the areola also may be reduced.
Your surgeon and treatment team will attempt to achieve symmetry between your breasts, but some variation in breast size and shape may occur. Your incision scars may fade over time, but they will never completely disappear.
Nov. 30, 2016
- AskMayoExpert. What does surgical breast reduction involve and why is it done? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Neligan PC. Plastic Surgery. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 16, 2014.
- Kalliainen LK. ASPS clinical practice guideline summary on reduction mammoplasty. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;130:785.
- Nguyen JT, et al. Long-term satisfaction of reduction mammoplasty for bilateral symptomatic macromastia in younger patients. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2013;53:112.
- Thibaudeau S, et al. The effects of breast reduction on successful breastfeeding: A systematic review. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. 2010;63:1688.
- Kerrigan CL, et al. Evidence-based medicine: Reduction mammoplasty. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2013;132:1670.
- Breast reduction procedural steps. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/breast-reduction.html?sub=Breast+reduction+procedural+steps. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Singh KA, et al. Additional benefits of reduction mammoplasty: A systematic review of the literature. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;129:562.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 9, 2014.