Initially, you'll consult with a plastic surgeon about breast reduction surgery. During your first visit, your plastic surgeon will likely:
- Evaluate your medical history and overall health
- Discuss your expectations for breast size and appearance after the surgery
- Provide a detailed description of the procedure and its risks and benefits, including likely scarring and possible loss of sensation
- Examine and measure your breasts
- Take photographs of your breasts for your medical record
- Explain the type of anesthesia used during surgery
- Discuss cost and insurance considerations
Before breast reduction surgery, you might also be asked to:
- Complete various lab tests
- Get a baseline mammogram
- Stop smoking for a certain period of time
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements
Ask your surgeon whether you'll be able to go home the day of the surgery or whether you'll need to spend a night in the hospital. In either case, make plans for someone to drive you home after surgery and stay with you as you begin to recover.
Oct. 08, 2011
- Spector D, et al. Not what I expected: Informational needs of women undergoing breast surgery. Plastic Surgical Nursing. 2010;30:70.
- Sabino N, et al. Self-esteem and functional capacity outcomes following reduction mammaplasty. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2008;28:417.
- Breast reduction. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/breast-reduction.html. Accessed Aug. 16, 2011.
- Henry SL, et al. Risk factors and complications in reduction mammaplasty: Novel associations and preoperative assessment. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2009;124:1040.
- Spear ME, et al. The impact of reduction mammaplasty on breast sensation: An analysis of multiple surgical techniques. Annals of Plastic Surgery. In press. Accessed Sept. 26, 2011.
- Tenna S, et al. Postural variations after breast reduction: Introduction of a new technique to achieve an objective analysis. Annals of Plastic Surgery. In press. Accessed Sept. 26, 2011.
- Thibaudeau S, et al. The effects of breast reduction on successful breastfeeding: A systematic review. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. 2010;63:1688.