Your plastic surgeon will likely:
- Evaluate your medical history and overall health
- Discuss your expectations for breast size and appearance after the surgery
- Provide a detailed description of the procedure and its risks and benefits, including likely scarring and possible loss of sensation
- Examine and measure your breasts
- Take photographs of your breasts for your medical record
- Explain the type of anesthesia used during surgery
Before breast reduction surgery, you might also be asked to:
- Complete various lab tests
- Get a baseline mammogram
- Stop smoking for a certain period of time before and after surgery
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements to control bleeding during surgery
Ask your surgeon whether you'll be able to go home the day of the surgery or whether you'll need to spend a night in the hospital. In either case, arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery.
Sept. 10, 2014
- AskMayoExpert. What does surgical breast reduction involve and why is it done? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Neligan PC. Plastic Surgery. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 16, 2014.
- Kalliainen LK. ASPS clinical practice guideline summary on reduction mammoplasty. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;130:785.
- Nguyen JT, et al. Long-term satisfaction of reduction mammoplasty for bilateral symptomatic macromastia in younger patients. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2013;53:112.
- Thibaudeau S, et al. The effects of breast reduction on successful breastfeeding: A systematic review. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery. 2010;63:1688.
- Kerrigan CL, et al. Evidence-based medicine: Reduction mammoplasty. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2013;132:1670.
- Breast reduction procedural steps. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/breast-reduction.html?sub=Breast+reduction+procedural+steps. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Singh KA, et al. Additional benefits of reduction mammoplasty: A systematic review of the literature. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2012;129:562.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 9, 2014.