Keep your expectations realistic about your surgery. Breast reconstruction offers many benefits, but it won't make your breast look or feel exactly like it did before your mastectomy.
What breast reconstruction can do:
- Give you a breast contour
- Help your breasts look natural under clothing or a bathing suit
- Help you avoid the need for using a form (external prosthesis) inside your bra
What breast reconstruction might do:
- Improve your self-esteem and body image
- Partially erase the physical reminders of your disease
- Require additional surgery to correct reconstructive problems
What breast reconstruction won't do:
Feb. 26, 2014
- Make you look exactly the same as before
- Give your reconstructed breast the same sensations as your normal breast
- Breast reconstruction after mastectomy. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/moreinformation/breastreconstructionaftermastectomy/index. Accessed Aug. 13, 2013.
- Nahabedian M. Breast reconstruction in women with breast cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 13, 2013.
- Breast reconstruction: Helping you become whole again. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/breast-reconstruction.html. Accessed Aug. 18, 2013.