Keep your expectations realistic when anticipating the outcome of your surgery. Breast reconstruction surgery offers many benefits, but it won't make you look or feel exactly like you did before your mastectomy.
What breast reconstruction can do:
- Give you a breast contour
- Provide improved symmetry to your breasts so that they look similar under clothing or a bathing suit
- Help you avoid the need for an external prosthesis
What breast reconstruction may do:
- Improve your self-esteem and body image
- Partially erase the physical reminders of your disease
- Require additional surgery to correct reconstructive problems
What breast reconstruction won't do:
Feb. 15, 2014
- Make you look exactly the same as before
- Give your reconstructed breast the same sensations as your normal breast
- Breast reconstruction after mastectomy. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/moreinformation/breastreconstructionaftermastectomy/index. Accessed Aug. 13, 2013.
- Nahabedian M. Breast reconstruction in women with breast cancer. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 13, 2013.
- Breast reconstruction: Helping you become whole again. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/reconstructive-procedures/breast-reconstruction.html. Accessed Aug. 18, 2013.
- FDA update on the safety of silicone gel-filled breast implants: Executive summary. US Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/BreastImplants/ucm259866.htm. Accessed Aug. 20, 2013.