Breast cancer is the disease that many women fear most. But early detection and lifestyle changes may reduce your risk.
Breast cysts are more common in women before menopause. Draining fluid from a breast cyst can diagnose and treat the problem.
Breast pain is a common problem for women. But while it can be worrisome and uncomfortable, it rarely signals cancer or another serious health condition.
Fibrocystic breasts feel lumpy, and they're prone to soreness before your period. They're sometimes uncomfortable, but fibrocystic breast changes are common.
For male breast cancer, awareness and early diagnosis are key to successful treatment.
Paget's disease of the breast is a form of breast cancer that involves the nipple. Understand treatment options for this rare breast cancer.
Jul. 17, 2014
- Sabel MS. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of palpable breast mass. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 28, 2014.
- Swartz MH. Textbook of Physical Diagnosis. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 29, 2014.
- Smith RA, et al. Cancer screening in the United States, 2014: A review of current American Cancer Society guidelines and current issues in cancer screening. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2014;64:30.
- Breast cancer screening (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/screening/breast/healthprofessional. Accessed May 23, 2014.
- Breast cancer screening and diagnosis. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed May 23, 2014.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 122: Breast cancer screening. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2011;2:372.
- Mathis KL, et al. Palpable presentation of breast cancer persists in the era of screening mammography. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2010;210:314.
- Mac Bride MB, et al. The evolution of the breast self-examination to breast awareness. The Breast Journal. 2012;18:641.