Doctors and scientists at Mayo Clinic are studying ways to predict breast cancer risk. For women with a high risk of cancer, researchers are studying ways to reduce the risk that breast cancer will develop.
Mayo Clinic is one of a select group of medical centers in the United States to be recognized as a Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) for breast cancer research, funded by the National Cancer Institute.
Cancer research is conducted in coordination with the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center. The Mayo Clinic Cancer Center receives funding from the National Cancer Institute and is designated as a comprehensive cancer center — recognition for an institution's scientific excellence and multidisciplinary resources focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Women's Cancer Program
The Women's Cancer Program at Mayo Clinic brings together doctors and researchers in breast and gynecologic surgery, medical and radiation oncology, medical genetics, pathology, and other specialties to develop new therapies for women's cancers. As part of the Mayo Clinic Cancer Center, the Women's Cancer Program offers access to potential new therapies through clinical trials. The Women's Cancer Program also provides emotional and social support classes, a resource center and educational programs for women and their families.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic authors on breast cancer risk assessment on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Oct. 22, 2015
- Karthik Ghosh, M.D.
- Stephanie L. Hines, M.D.
- Sarah A. McLaughlin, M.D.
- Lonzetta (Loni) Neal, M.D.
- Donald W. Northfelt, M.D.
- Barbara A. Pockaj, M.D.
- Sandhya Pruthi, M.D.
- Deborah J. Rhodes, M.D.
- Nicole P. Sandhu, M.D., Ph.D.
- Daniela L. Stan, M.D.
- Pruthi S, et al. Chemoprevention for breast cancer. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2015;22:3230.
- Ko MG, et al. Reducing the risk of breast cancer: A personalized approach. The Journal of Family Practice. 2012;61:340.
- Breast SPOREs. National Cancer Institute. http://trp.cancer.gov/spores/breast.htm. Accessed Oct. 8, 2015.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 8, 2015.