Before the breast biopsy, tell your doctor if you:
- Have any allergies
- Have taken aspirin in the last seven days
- Are taking blood-thinning medications (anticoagulants)
- Are unable to lie on your stomach for an extended period of time
If your biopsy will be done using magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), tell your doctor if you have a cardiac pacemaker or other electronic device implanted in your body or if you're pregnant or think you may be pregnant. An MRI generally isn't recommended under these circumstances.
Wear a bra to your appointment. Your health care team may place a cold pack against the biopsy site after the procedure, and the bra can hold the cold pack in place and provide support for your breast.
Nov. 22, 2016
- Esserman LJ, et al. Breast biopsy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 3, 2016.
- For women facing a breast biopsy. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/treatment/understandingyourdiagnosis/examsandtestdescriptions/forwomenfacingabreastbiopsy/. Accessed June 3, 2016.
- Having a breast biopsy: A review of the research for women and their families. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. https://www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/ehc/index.cfm/search-for-guides-reviews-and-reports/?pageAction=displayProduct&productID=2234. Accessed June 3, 2016.
- Ultrasound-guided breast biopsy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=breastbius. Accessed June 3, 2016.
- Magnetic resonance (MRI)-guided breast biopsy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=breastbimr. Accessed June 3, 2016.
- Pfenninger JL, et al., eds. Breast biopsy. In: Pfenninger & Fowler’s Procedures for Primary Care. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 3, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Percutaneous biopsy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Lonzetta N, et al. Diagnosis and management of benign, atypical, and indeterminate breast lesions detected on core needle biopsy. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2014;89:536.