People who experience serious brain injuries may have movement problems, emotional problems, thinking and memory problems, language problems, pain or numbness, or other limitations.
Many people with brain injuries have challenges returning to independent living, work or school. Mayo Clinic's brain rehabilitation team works to meet the needs of people with brain injuries and help them become as independent as possible.
The most common way brain function is altered by injury or disease is after a stroke, which may be due to lack of blood flow to the brain or bleeding in the brain.
Many people treated in Mayo's Brain Rehabilitation Clinic have had strokes. Other common causes of brain dysfunction include brain tumors and traumatic brain injuries, which are caused by external forces applied to your head or body, such as a fall or car accident.
Dec. 04, 2014
- Daroff RB, et al. Bradley's Neurology in Clinical Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 24, 2014.
- Bushnell C, et al. Guidelines for the prevention of stroke in women: A statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2014;45.
- NINDS Traumatic Brain Injury Information Page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tbi/tbi.htm. Accessed Oct. 24, 2014.
- Provider profile. Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities. http://www.carf.org/providerProfile.aspx?cid=8020 . Accessed Oct. 24, 2014.
- Post-stroke rehabilitation fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/stroke/poststrokerehab.htm . Accessed Oct. 24, 2014.
- National Stroke Association's guide to choosing stroke rehabilitation services. National Stroke Association. http://support.stroke.org/site/DocServer/Choose_Rehab.pdf?docID=1101. Accessed Oct. 25, 2014.
- Brown AW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 3, 2014.
- Bergquist T (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 3, 2014.
- Milburn AM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 3, 2014.
- Driscoll SW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 3, 2014.