Side effects of brachytherapy are specific to the area being treated. Because brachytherapy focuses radiation in a small treatment area, only that area is affected.
You may experience tenderness and swelling in the treatment area. Ask your doctor what other side effects can be expected from your treatment.
July 18, 2017
- Brachytherapy. RadiologyInfo.org. https://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=brachy. Accessed April 2, 2017.
- Radiation therapy and you: Support for people with cancer. National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/publications/patient-education/radiation-therapy-and-you. Accessed April 2, 2017.
- Brachytherapy. RT Answers. http://www.rtanswers.org/Brachytherapy/. Accessed April 2, 2017.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 9, 2017.
- Gunderson LL, et al., eds. Brachytherapy. In: Clinical Radiation Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 4, 2017.