- Teamwork. At Mayo Clinic, radiation oncologists work with other experts, such as radiologists, pathologists, oncologists and surgeons to care for people undergoing brachytherapy. Other professionals are included as needed.
- Experience. Brachytherapy treatment requires skilled and experienced radiation oncologists. Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors perform more than 300 brachytherapy procedures.
- Individualized treatment. Mayo Clinic's radiation oncology professionals tailor treatment to your specific situation. After the radiation oncologist identifies the areas of cancer to be treated, radiation therapy is carefully planned and simulated before actual treatment to minimize the dose of radiation to normal tissues.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
July 24, 2014
- Brachytherapy. RadiologyInfo.org. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=brachy. Accessed April 5, 2014.
- Radiation therapy and you: Support for people with cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/radiation-therapy-and-you. Accessed April 5, 2014.
- Brachytherapy. RT Answers. http://www.rtanswers.org/treatmentinformation/treatmenttypes/brachytherapy.aspx. Accessed April 5, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 4, 2014.
- Gunderson LL, et al. Clinical Radiation Oncology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 5, 2014.