Loss of blood flow to a bone leads to avascular necrosis — the death of bone tissue. This most commonly affects the thighbone, causing groin pain.
Back pain is a common reason for health care visits and missed work. Home treatment and proper body mechanics can help you feel better.
Bladder cancer is often diagnosed early — when it's most treatable. But even with successful treatment, bladder cancer survivors need follow-up tests for years to come.
Bone cancer is an uncommon type of cancer that begins in a bone. It can affect both adults and children.
Bone metastasis occurs when cancer spreads to the bones.
Breast cancer is the disease that many women fear most. But early detection and lifestyle changes may reduce your risk.
Think you have a broken ankle or broken foot? Treatment for these common injuries depends on the exact site and severity of the fracture.
A broken rib, or fractured rib, is a common injury that occurs when one of the bones in your rib cage breaks or cracks.
The key to complete healing of a broken wrist or a broken hand is getting your injury looked at and treated promptly.
Learn about cancer, what it looks like and what causes it.
Complex regional pain syndrome is a chronic, painful disease that typically affects an arm or leg that was recently injured or infected.
Fibrous dysplasia is a bone disorder that destroys and replaces normal bone with scar-like tissue, causing brittleness and deformity in the affected bones.
Frostbite — Comprehensive overview covers causes, symptoms and treatments of this cold injury.
Inflammatory breast cancer occurs when cancer cells clog lymphatic vessels in the skin of the breast. It's a rare but deadly form of cancer.
Legg-Calve-Perthes disease is a rare childhood hip condition that requires specialty care.
The risk of liver cancer may be reduced by protecting yourself from serious liver diseases such as cirrhosis and hepatitis B and C.
Smoking increases your risk of lung cancer. Quit now and reduce your risk.
Your bones are made up of living tissue that's continually being renewed. Paget's disease of bone disrupts that process, sometimes causing serious complications.
Prostate cancer is a common cancer affecting men. But with early detection, you improve your chances of successful treatment.
Recurrent breast cancer — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, diagnosis and treatment for breast cancer recurrence.
Scoliosis is an abnormal curvature of the spine. Most cases are mild, but severe cases may require treatment with braces or surgery.
The result of torn or stretched ligaments, a sprained ankle requires proper self-care and, in some cases, prompt medical evaluation to ensure effective treatment.
Stress fractures are tiny cracks in a bone. Simple steps can help prevent this common overuse injury.
Thumb arthritis (basal joint arthritis) occurs when the joint at your wrist and the base of your thumb develops osteoarthritis.
Sometimes it really is all in the wrist. Learn more about what causes wrist pain and how it's treated.
Jan. 26, 2012
- Weissman BN, et al. Diagnostic imaging of bone pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Dec. 15, 2011.
- Coleman RE, et al. Bone metastases. In: Abeloff MD, et al. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/linkTo?type=bookPage&isbn=978-0-443-06694-8&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06694-8..50061-0. Accessed Dec. 14, 2011.
- Cleveland KB. General principles of infection. In: Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/168406572-4/910701586/1584/95.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-03329-9..50018-0--cesec13_615. Accessed Dec. 15, 2011.
- Glossary of orthopaedic diagnostic tests. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00272#Bone%20Scan. Accessed Dec. 15, 2011.
- Safety: Radiation exposure in X-ray exams. Radiological Society of North America. http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/safety/index.cfm?pg=sfty_xray. Accessed Dec. 15, 2011.
- Nicoll D, et al. Bone scan. In: Nicoll D, et al. Pocket Guide to Diagnostic Tests. 5th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Medical; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/popup.aspx?aID=3141541. Accessed Dec. 15, 2011.
- Sharp PF, et al. Nuclear medicine imaging. In: Sharp PF, et al. Practical Nuclear Medicine. 3rd ed. London, England: Springer; 2005:1.