Acute lymphocytic leukemia is a type of leukemia that affects immature white blood cells. It's the most common cancer in children and adolescents.
Acute myelogenous leukemia (AML), a form of cancer that affects the blood cells, is the most common type of leukemia.
Aplastic anemia occurs when your bone marrow stops producing enough new blood cells. It's a serious problem, but treatments are available.
Chronic lymphocytic leukemia is a cancer of the blood and bone marrow. Unlike other cancers, this form of leukemia doesn't always initially require treatment.
Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) is a rare type of blood cancer. New treatments may be improving the prognosis for many people with CML.
An enlarged spleen is usually a sign of an underlying problem. Treatment varies, depending on what's causing the enlargement.
Monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance often isn't serious, but it can increase your risk of certain diseases, including some types of cancer.
In myelofibrosis, healthy bone marrow is replaced with scar tissue, leading to severe anemia and fatigue.
Neuroblastoma most commonly affects children age 5 and younger. It's the most common form of cancer in babies.
Polycythemia vera is a rare blood disorder in which a person's bone marrow makes too many blood cells.
Thrombocytosis is a disorder in which your body makes too many platelets. Treatment depends on the underlying cause.
Nov. 27, 2014
- What are bone marrow tests? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/bmt. Accessed Sept. 22, 2014.
- Zehnder JL. Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy: Indications and technique. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 18, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the indications for a bone marrow aspiration and biopsy? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Pfenninger JL, et al. Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 18, 2014.
- Hortholm N, et al. Strategies of pain reduction during the bone marrow biopsy. Annals of Hematology. 2013;92:145.