April 01, 2015
Part of Mayo Clinic's commitment to its patients involves conducting medical research that helps people live longer, healthier lives. Clinical trials are research studies that involve volunteer participants. These human studies help doctors better understand diagnose, treat, and prevent diseases or conditions.
Mayo Clinic has thousands of active clinical trials and research studies; and coordinates national clinical trials with other medical centers. See Mayo's clinical trials website and search for a study by condition, treatment or drug name.
Mayo Clinic researchers continually develop new studies, so ask your health care provider about clinical studies or visit ClinicalTrials.gov to learn about additional research opportunities.
- What is a blood transfusion? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/bt. Accessed Feb. 19, 2015.
- Blood transfusion. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. http://www.lls.org//attachments/National/br_1144786293.pdf.#/diseaseinformation/managingyourcancer/newlydiagnosed/understandingdiagnosis/bloodtransfusion. Accessed Feb. 19, 2015.
- Blood transfusion and donation. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/treatmenttypes/bloodproductdonationandtransfusion/index. Accessed Feb. 19, 2015.
- Katz EA. Blood transfusion: Friend or foe. Advanced Critical Care. 2009;20:155.
- Rawn J. The silent risks of blood transfusion. Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology. 2008;21:664.
- Sharma S, et al. Transfusion of blood and blood products: Indications and complications. American Family Physician. 2011;83:719.
- What are the risks of a blood transfusion? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/bt. Accessed Feb. 27, 2015.
- Diseases and organisms: Blood safety. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/bloodsafety/bbp/diseases_organisms. Accessed Feb. 27, 2015.
- Gralnek IM, et al. Management of acute bleeding from a peptic ulcer. New England Journal of Medicine. 2008;359:928.