Why it's doneBy Mayo Clinic Staff
You might consider blepharoplasty if droopy or sagging eyelids keep your eyes from opening completely or pull down your lower eyelids. Removing excess tissue from your upper eyelids, lower eyelids or both can improve vision and make your eyes appear younger and more alert.
Blepharoplasty may be an option if you have:
- Baggy or droopy upper eyelids
- Excess skin of the upper eyelids that interferes with your peripheral vision
- Droopy lower eyelids, which may cause white to show below the colored part of the eye (iris)
- Excess skin on the lower eyelids
- Bags under your eyes
You may undergo blepharoplasty at the same time as another procedure, such as a brow lift, face-lift or skin resurfacing.
Insurance coverage may depend on whether the surgery repairs a condition that impairs vision. If you have the surgery only to improve your appearance, the cost probably won't be covered by insurance.
Nov. 30, 2016
- Eyelid surgery. American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. http://www.aafprs.org/patient/procedures/blepharoplasty.html. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- Eyelid surgery. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/eyelid-surgery.html. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- Eyelid surgery. American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. http://www.surgery.org/consumers/procedures/head/eyelid-surgery. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- McCord CD, et al. Management of postblepharoplasty chemosis. Aesthetic Surgery Journal. 2013;33:654.
- Cahill KV, et al. Functional indications for upper eyelid ptosis and blepharoplasty surgery. Ophthalmology. 2011;118:2510.
- Whipple KM, et al. Blepharoplasty complications. Clinics in Plastic Surgery. 2013;40:213.
- Neligan PC. Plastic Surgery. Vol. 2. 3rd ed. London, England: Elsevier Saunders; 2013:11. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- Yanoff M, ed., et al. Ophthalmology. 3rd ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2009. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 7, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Eyelid surgery. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.