A biophysical profile is a noninvasive test that poses no physical risks to you or your baby.
While a biophysical profile can offer reassurance about your baby's health, it can also cause anxiety. In addition, a biophysical profile might not detect an existing problem or might suggest that a problem exists when there is none.
Also, keep in mind that while a biophysical profile is often recommended for women who have an increased risk of pregnancy loss, it's not always clear that the test can promote a baby's health.
March 05, 2015
- Manning FA. The fetal biophysical profile. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 29, 2015.
- Signore C, et al. Overview of antepartum fetal surveillance. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 29, 2015.
- Frequently asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ098. Special tests for monitoring fetal health. American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Special-Tests-for-Monitoring-Fetal-Health. Accessed Jan. 29, 2015.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Antepartum fetal evaluation. In: Obstetrics: Normal and problem pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 29, 2015.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Fetal assessment. In: Williams Obstetrics. 24th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Nov. 15, 2011.
- Young BK. Nonstress test and contraction stress test. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 29, 2015.
- Taking a close look at ultrasound. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/UCM095487.pdf. Accessed
- Lalor JG, et al. Biophysical profile for fetal assessment in high risk pregnancies. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000038.pub2/abstract. Accessed Jan. 29, 2015.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins — Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 146: Management of late-term and postterm pregnancies. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2014;124:390.
- Oyelese Y, et al. The uses and limitations of the fetal biophysical profile. Clinics in Perinatology. 2011;38:47.