A biophysical profile is a noninvasive test that poses no physical risks for you or your baby.
While a biophysical profile can offer reassurance about your baby's health, it can also cause anxiety. In addition, a biophysical profile might not detect an existing problem or might suggest that a problem exists when there is none.
Also, keep in mind that while a biophysical profile is often recommended for women who have an increased risk of pregnancy loss, it's not always clear that the test can promote a baby's health.
Feb. 22, 2012
- Manning FA. The fetal biophysical profile. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 15, 2011.
- Signore C, et al. Overview of fetal assessment. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 15, 2011.
- Special tests for monitoring fetal health. American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp098.cfm. Accessed Nov. 15, 2011.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and problem pregnancies. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06930-7..50013-X--cesec4&isbn=978-0-443-06930-7&sid=1233508826&uniqId=301923354-3#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06930-7..50013-X--cesec12. Accessed Nov. 15, 2011.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6023002&searchStr=fetal+biophysical+profile. Accessed Nov. 15, 2011.
- DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment Obstetrics & Gynecology. 10th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2007. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2384590. Accessed Nov. 15, 2011.
- Devoe LD. Antenatal fetal assessment: Contraction stress test, nonstress test, vibroacoustic stimulation, amniotic fluid volume, biophysical profile and modified biophysical profile - An overview. Seminars in Perinatology. 2008;32:247.
- Lalor JG, et al. Biophysical profile for fetal assessment in high risk pregnancies (review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD000038.pub2/abstract. Accessed Nov. 16, 2011.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins - Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 55: Clinical management guidelines for obstetricians-gynecologists. Management of postterm pregnancy. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2004;104:639.
- Oyelese Y, et al. The uses and limitations of the fetal biophysical profile. Clinics in Perinatology. 2011;38:47.
- Young BK. Antepartum fetal heart rate assessment. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 17, 2011.
- Taking a close look at ultrasound. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/UCM095487.pdf. Accessed Nov. 18, 2011.