- Experience. Mayo Clinic neurosurgeons perform more than 1,000 brain tumor surgeries each year using the latest technological advances available to them, including computer-assisted brain surgery, intraoperative MRI and lasers. Mayo Clinic surgeons have experience performing awake brain surgery to remove brain tumors or epileptic foci that doctors previously considered inoperable.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, recognizing scientific excellence and a multispecialty approach focused on cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment. It is one of only four U.S. cancer centers to receive a National Cancer Institute-sponsored Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) grant for brain cancer research.
- Nationally recognized expertise. Learn more about Mayo Clinic's neurosurgery and neurology departments' expertise and rankings.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Sept. 27, 2016
- Adult brain tumors treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/adultbrain/Patient. Accessed Aug. 8, 2016.
- Brain tumor surgery. American Brain Tumors Association. http://www.abta.org/brain-tumor-treatment/treatments/surgery.html. Accessed Aug. 8, 2016.
- Brydges G, et al. Awake craniotomy: A practice overview. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists. 2012;80:61.
- Brain mapping. Epilepsy Foundation. http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating-seizures-and-epilepsy/surgery/pre-surgery-tests/brain-mapping. Accessed Aug. 11, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Surgical treatment for seizures. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2004.
- Surgery for adult brain and spinal cord tumors. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/braincnstumorsinadults/detailedguide/brain-and-spinal-cord-tumors-in-adults-treating-surgery. Accessed Aug. 8, 2016.
- Parney IF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 22, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Patient education about your craniotomy. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2005.