- Experience. Mayo Clinic surgeons have experience performing awake brain surgery to remove brain tumors or epileptic foci that doctors previously considered inoperable. Mayo Clinic surgeons perform about 690 awake brain surgeries each year.
- Team approach. At Mayo Clinic, brain surgeons (neurosurgeons) work with an integrated team of doctors trained in brain conditions (neurologists), anesthesia (anesthesiologists), speech and language (speech-language pathologists), and other areas to provide your care before, during and after awake brain surgery. Doctors also work with computer engineers, language interpreters and other specialists to care for people who may need awake brain surgery.
- Technology. Mayo Clinic doctors use computer-assisted brain surgery and intraoperative MRI during awake brain surgery. Doctors may also conduct deep brain stimulation during awake brain surgery.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors conduct research in several types of neurosurgery to treat neurological conditions, including awake brain surgery and other procedures.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked high performing for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Mar. 19, 2014
- Adult brain tumors treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/adultbrain/Patient. Accessed July 25, 2013.
- Miller RD, et al. Miller's Anesthesia. 7th ed. Orlando, Fla.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2009. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 18, 2013.
- Brydges G, et al. Awake craniotomy: A practice overview. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists. 2012;80:61.
- Bonhomme V, et al. Awake craniotomy. European Journal of Anaesthesiology. 2009;26:906.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Surgical treatment for seizures. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2004.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 24, 2013.
- Parney IF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 31, 2013.