Scientists in Mayo Clinic's Orthopedic Surgery Research division have been involved in advances to ease pain from musculoskeletal disorders. Researchers in Mayo Clinic's Motion Analysis laboratory study how different types of ankle problems and surgeries affect a person's gait.
Specific efforts include studies of the outcomes of ankle-fusion surgery performed on both ankles, racial disparities in the use of ankle-replacement treatment and outcomes, and issues surrounding the increasing age and number of other health issues experienced by people who have ankle replacement.
See a list of publications about ankle surgery by Mayo Clinic doctors on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
July 06, 2017
- Firestein GS, et al. Foot and ankle pain. In: Kelley and Firestein's Textbook of Rheumatology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 19, 2017.
- Weisman MH, et al. Total joint replacement for severe rheumatoid arthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 19, 2017.
- Azar FM, et al. Ankle arthrodesis. In: Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 13th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 19, 2017.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 28, 2016.
- Azar FM, et al. Reconstructive procedures of the ankle in adults. In: Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 13th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 19, 2017.
- Houdek MT, et al. Radiographic and functional outcomes following bilateral ankle fusions. Foot & Ankle International. 2014;35:1250.
- Singh JA, et al. Racial disparities in total ankle arthroplasty utilization and outcomes. Arthritis Research & Therapy. 2015;17:70.
- Singh JA, et al. Time trends in total ankle arthroplasty in the U.S.: A study of the Nationwide Inpatient Sample. Clinical Rheumatology. 2016;35:239.