- Experience. Mayo Clinic's orthopedic surgeons have expertise in all types of ankle surgery — including a wide range of foot and ankle reconstruction surgeries. More than 1,200 ankle surgeries are performed at Mayo Clinic each year.
- Teamwork and innovation. Mayo Clinic surgeons work with experts from other specialties to determine the best treatment for your particular situation. State-of-the-art MRI guides treatment decisions. At Mayo Clinic, you have access to the latest types of ankle-fusion hardware and artificial ankle joints.
- Research advances. Scientists in Mayo Clinic's Orthopedic Surgery Research division have been involved in advances to ease pain from musculoskeletal disorders. Researchers in Mayo Clinic's Motion Analysis laboratory study how different types of ankle problems and surgeries affect a person's gait.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida, is ranked high performing for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for orthopedics.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's Orthopedic Surgery department's expertise and rankings.
July 06, 2017
- Firestein GS, et al. Foot and ankle pain. In: Kelley and Firestein's Textbook of Rheumatology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 19, 2017.
- Weisman MH, et al. Total joint replacement for severe rheumatoid arthritis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 19, 2017.
- Azar FM, et al. Ankle arthrodesis. In: Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 13th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 19, 2017.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 28, 2016.
- Azar FM, et al. Reconstructive procedures of the ankle in adults. In: Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 13th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2017. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 19, 2017.
- Houdek MT, et al. Radiographic and functional outcomes following bilateral ankle fusions. Foot & Ankle International. 2014;35:1250.
- Singh JA, et al. Racial disparities in total ankle arthroplasty utilization and outcomes. Arthritis Research & Therapy. 2015;17:70.
- Singh JA, et al. Time trends in total ankle arthroplasty in the U.S.: A study of the Nationwide Inpatient Sample. Clinical Rheumatology. 2016;35:239.