Arteriosclerosis / atherosclerosis — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, treatment for hardening of the arteries.
Don't ignore leg pain that starts when you exercise and stops when you rest. It could be claudication. Understand its causes and treatments.
Peripheral artery disease is a common circulation problem affecting the arteries carrying blood to your limbs. Painful in itself, it could signal larger circulatory problems.
Jun. 26, 2013
- Grenon SM, et al. Ankle-brachial index for assessment of peripheral artery disease. New England Journal of Medicine. 2009;361:e40.
- Ankle-brachial index. Vascular Disease Foundation. http://vasculardisease.org/peripheral-artery-disease/pad-diagnosis/ankle-brachial-index/. Accessed Sept. 18, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. How are the results of ankle-brachial index testing classified at Mayo Clinic? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Rooke TW, et al. 2011 ACCF/AHA focused update of the guideline for the management of patients with peripheral artery disease (updating the 2005 guideline): A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on practice guidelines. Circulation. 2011;124:2020.
- Ankle Brachial Index Collaboration. Ankle brachial index combined with Framingham Risk Score to predict cardiovascular events and mortality: A meta-analysis. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2008;300:197.
- Grogan M (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic. Rochester, Minn. Aug. 24, 2012.