Cleft lip and cleft palate are common birth defects. Surgical correction allows children with clefts to live normal and healthy lives.
Congenital adrenal hyperplasia is a genetic condition affecting the adrenal glands and interfering with normal growth and development in boys and girls.
Cytomegalovirus infects most people by the time they're 40. It's a common infection in newborns — and puts them at risk of permanent disabilities.
Down syndrome is a genetic disorder that results in mental retardation and other problems. Children with Down syndrome often benefit from early intervention and education.
If you have a high-risk pregnancy, you might have questions. Will you need special prenatal care? Will your baby be OK? Get the facts about high-risk pregnancies.
Hunter syndrome, a rare metabolic disorder, occurs when the body can't break down certain complex sugars. Complications occur as these sugars accumulate in the body.
Incompetent cervix — Overview covers symptoms, risks and treatment of weak cervical tissue during pregnancy.
Placenta accreta — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms and treatment of this serious pregnancy condition.
Polyhydramnios — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes and treatment of excessive amniotic fluid in pregnancy.
During pregnancy you might have the option to pursue various screening tests. Here's what the tests can tell you.
Spina bifida is a birth defect in which the spinal cord doesn't close properly during the first month of pregnancy.
Thalassemia is an inherited blood disorder, characterized by less hemoglobin and fewer red blood cells than normal. When necessary, treatment includes blood transfusions.
Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite. It doesn't make most people ill, but infants and people with HIV/AIDS are at risk of complications.
How to identify and treat triple X syndrome.
Turner syndrome, a genetic condition that only affects females, results in poor growth, poor development of adult sex characteristics, infertility and other medical problems.
Oct. 10, 2012
- Ghidini, A. Diagnostic amniocentesis. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 3, 2012.
- Eddleman K, et al. Pregnancy loss rates after midtrimester amniocentesis. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 2006;108:1067.
- Frequently asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ165. Screening for birth defects. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq165.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20120803T1101436205. Accessed Aug. 3, 2012.
- Cunningham FG, et al. Williams Obstetrics. 23rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=6021591. Accessed Aug. 8, 2012.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012:1.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Committee on Practice Bulletins - Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 88: Invasive Prenatal Testing for Aneuploidy. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2007;110:1459.
- Frequently asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ171. Cystic fibrosis: Prenatal screening and diagnosis. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq171.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20120801T1656571546. Accessed Aug. 1, 2012.
- Gillen-Goldstein J, et al. Assessment of fetal lung maturity. www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Aug. 3, 2012.
- Moore KL, et al. The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013:1.
- Gibbs RS, et al. Danforth's Obstetrics and Gynecology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008. http://www.danforthsobgyn.com. Accessed Aug. 8, 2012.
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Your Pregnancy and Childbirth Month to Month. 5th ed. Washington, D.C.: American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists; 2010:343.
- Frequently asked questions. Pregnancy FAQ027. The Rh factor: How it can affect your pregnancy. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. http://www.acog.org/~/media/For%20Patients/faq027.pdf?dmc=1&ts=20120809T1038350240. Accessed Aug. 9, 2012.
- Beckman CRB, et al. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 6th ed. Baltimore, Md.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2010:57.
- Fischbach FT, et al. A Manual of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009:1041.
- Pagana KD, et al. Mosby's Manual of Diagnostic and Laboratory Tests. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010:664.