Acute sinusitis occurs when your sinus cavities become inflamed. Antibiotics, decongestants and corticosteroids may relieve pain and congestion and prevent development of chronic sinusitis.
Bee stings — Comprehensive overview covers prevention, treatment of bee stings.
Chronic sinusitis involves long-term inflammation or infection of the sinus cavities. Medications can help, and in rare cases surgery can treat this painful condition.
Dust mite allergy, an immune system reaction to inhaled dust mite "debris," causes hay fever symptoms and may cause allergy-induced asthma.
Dyshidrosis is a condition in which small, fluid-filled blisters occur on the palms of your hands or the soles of your feet, causing intense itching.
Food allergy symptoms can make you miserable. Unfortunately, there's no cure — but there are steps you can take to keep your symptoms in check.
Lichen planus is an inflammatory disorder that results in lesions on the skin or mucous membranes.
Nasal polyps, inflammation-related growths in the nasal passages or sinuses, can block the flow of air and fluid in your nose.
Nickel allergy is a condition in which contact with items containing nickel causes an itchy, red rash usually at the site of contact.
Oral lichen planus, a chronic inflammatory disorder, appears as lesions in the mouth that may cause pain and burning sensations.
April 02, 2014
- Nolte HN, et al. Overview of skin testing for allergic disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 26, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. How are allergy skin tests performed? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the primary indications for allergy testing? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Tips to remember: What is allergy testing? American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/patients/publicedmat/tips/whatisallergytesting.stm. Accessed Nov. 26, 2013.
- Allergy testing. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/public/background/testing.htm. Accessed Nov. 16, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What types of medications can interfere with allergy skin testing, and for how long should they be avoided before testing? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Holgate ST, et al. Allergy. 4 ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Elsevier. 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 13, 2013.