Allergy shots may be a good treatment choice for you if:
- Medications don't control your symptoms well, and you can't avoid the things that cause your allergic reactions
- Allergy medications interact with other medications you need to take or cause bothersome side effects
- You want to reduce your long-term use of allergy medication
- You're allergic to insect stings
Allergy shots can be used to control symptoms triggered by:
- Seasonal allergies. If you have seasonal allergic asthma or hay fever symptoms, you may be allergic to pollens released by trees, grasses or weeds.
- Indoor allergens. If you have year-round symptoms, you may be sensitive to indoor allergens, such as dust mites, cockroaches, mold, or dander from pets such as cats or dogs.
- Insect stings. Allergic reactions to insect stings can be triggered by bees, wasps, hornets or yellow jackets.
Allergy shots aren't available for food allergies or chronic hives (urticaria).
Feb. 10, 2015
- Adkinson NF, et al. Middleton's Allergy: Principles and Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec.2, 2014.
- Allergy shots (immunotherapy). American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/treatments/allergy-shots-%28immunotherapy%29.aspx. Accessed Dec.2, 2014.
- Allergy shots: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/allergy-shots.aspx. Accessed Dec.2, 2014.
- Pollen allergy. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/allergicDiseases/understanding/pollenallergy/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Dec.2, 2014.
- Norman PS. Subcutaneous immunotherapy for allergic disease: Indications and efficacy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 16, 2014.
- Burks AW, et al. Update on allergy immunotherapy: American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology/European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology/PRACTALL consensus report. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2013;131:1288.
- Allergen-Specific Immunotherapy For the treatment of allergic Rhinoconjunctivitis and/or Asthma: Comparative Effectiveness Review. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. How does immunotherapy work? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the primary indications for allergen immunotherapy? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What precautions should be taken to decrease the risk of a severe reaction? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What is the schedule of immunotherapy administration? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.