How you prepareBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Before starting a course of allergy shots, your doctor may use a skin test to determine that your reactions are caused by an allergy — and which specific allergens cause your signs and symptoms. During a skin test, a small amount of the suspected allergen is scratched into your skin and the area is then observed for about 15 minutes. Swelling and redness indicate an allergy to the substance. Your doctor may also use an allergy blood test.
When you go in for allergy shots, let the nurses or doctors know if you are feeling unwell in any way. This is especially important if you have asthma. Also let them know if you had any symptoms after a previous allergy shot.
Feb. 10, 2015
- Adkinson NF, et al. Middleton's Allergy: Principles and Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec.2, 2014.
- Allergy shots (immunotherapy). American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/treatments/allergy-shots-%28immunotherapy%29.aspx. Accessed Dec.2, 2014.
- Allergy shots: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/allergy-shots.aspx. Accessed Dec.2, 2014.
- Pollen allergy. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/allergicDiseases/understanding/pollenallergy/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Dec.2, 2014.
- Norman PS. Subcutaneous immunotherapy for allergic disease: Indications and efficacy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 16, 2014.
- Burks AW, et al. Update on allergy immunotherapy: American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology/European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology/PRACTALL consensus report. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2013;131:1288.
- Allergen-Specific Immunotherapy For the treatment of allergic Rhinoconjunctivitis and/or Asthma: Comparative Effectiveness Review. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. How does immunotherapy work? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the primary indications for allergen immunotherapy? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What precautions should be taken to decrease the risk of a severe reaction? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What is the schedule of immunotherapy administration? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.