Allergy shots are injections you receive at regular intervals over a period of approximately three to five years to stop or reduce allergy attacks. Allergy shots are a form of treatment called immunotherapy. Each allergy shot contains a tiny amount of the specific substance or substances that trigger your allergic reactions. These are called allergens. Allergy shots contain just enough allergens to stimulate your immune system — but not enough to cause a full-blown allergic reaction.
Over time, your doctor increases the dose of allergens in each of your allergy shots. This helps get your body used to the allergens (desensitization). Your immune system builds up a tolerance to the allergens, causing your allergy symptoms to diminish over time.
Feb. 10, 2015
- Adkinson NF, et al. Middleton's Allergy: Principles and Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec.2, 2014.
- Allergy shots (immunotherapy). American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/treatments/allergy-shots-%28immunotherapy%29.aspx. Accessed Dec.2, 2014.
- Allergy shots: Tips to remember. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/allergy-shots.aspx. Accessed Dec.2, 2014.
- Pollen allergy. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/allergicDiseases/understanding/pollenallergy/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Dec.2, 2014.
- Norman PS. Subcutaneous immunotherapy for allergic disease: Indications and efficacy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 16, 2014.
- Burks AW, et al. Update on allergy immunotherapy: American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology/European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology/PRACTALL consensus report. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2013;131:1288.
- Allergen-Specific Immunotherapy For the treatment of allergic Rhinoconjunctivitis and/or Asthma: Comparative Effectiveness Review. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. How does immunotherapy work? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the primary indications for allergen immunotherapy? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What precautions should be taken to decrease the risk of a severe reaction? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What is the schedule of immunotherapy administration? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.