- Comprehensive care. Mayo Clinic offers a comprehensive assessment of your alcohol or drug use problem, psychological concerns, and medical status. Treatment for mental health and addictions are incorporated into one personalized treatment plan, handled by medical professionals on the same team. You also have access to other medical services at Mayo Clinic, if needed.
- Expertise. A psychiatrist with additional board certification in addiction treatment leads your treatment team and coordinates your care. You will work closely with licensed addiction counselors and nursing staff who specialize in addiction treatment.
- Patient-staff ratio. The ratio of one counseling staff person for every four patients ensures that you receive the individual attention you need to accomplish your treatment goals.
- Treatment offerings. Mayo Clinic's continuum of addiction treatment includes outpatient programs and a unique 18-person 30-day intensive program, with on-site residence in single, private rooms and bathrooms. Before completion of this program, an individualized continuing care plan is developed to support you in maintaining recovery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
At Mayo Clinic, a doctor with specific training in the treatment of addiction, called an addiction psychiatrist, coordinates the treatment programs and all of your care. The doctor leads a team of addiction specialists who provide comprehensive care for each person — from initial evaluation, to designing the treatment plan, to program follow-up. The ratio of one addiction staff person for every four patients ensures that you receive the individual attention necessary to accomplish your treatment goals.
Core members of your treatment team include the following.
- Addiction psychiatrist
- Internal medicine specialist
- Licensed alcohol and drug counselors
- Licensed clinical social worker
- Nurse with special training in addictions
Other team members who provide treatment, as needed, may include those below.
- Recreational therapist
- Nicotine dependence counselor
Frequently asked questions
Does the program treat psychiatric disorders, too?
Many people with an addictive disorder also have depression, anxiety or other psychiatric symptoms. The treatment team will assess, monitor and address these symptoms during the course of treatment.
Is this an abstinence-based program?
Yes. Abstinence from alcohol, addicting prescription medications and illegal drugs provides the best opportunity for long-term recovery.
Who can get information about my treatment?
May. 09, 2011
The confidentiality of patient records maintained by these alcohol and drug abuse programs is protected by federal law. The programs may not disclose any information identifying a patient receiving care for alcohol or drug abuse unless the patient consents or a court order mandates disclosure.