Find out what's behind this life-threatening eating disorder and how to treat it.
Autonomic neuropathy refers to damage to or disease affecting the involuntary nerves.Autonomic neuropathy refers to damage to or disease affecting the involuntary nerves.
Complementary and alternative medicine encompasses many different therapies. Get the basics here.
Chronic fatigue syndrome is a complex disorder characterized by extreme, prolonged fatigue. Although its cause is unknown, its symptoms may be relieved.
Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) is a rare type of blood cancer. New treatments may be improving the prognosis for many people with CML.
Chronic pelvic pain is pain in your pelvic region — the area below your bellybutton and between your hips — that lasts six months or longer.
Crohn's disease is a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) — a serious inflammation of the digestive tract that can cause abdominal pain and diarrhea.
Dystonia causes involuntary, sustained muscle contractions, resulting in repetitive movements, twisting and abnormal posture.
Endometriosis is a common and often painful disorder in which tissue that normally lines the inside of your uterus grows outside your uterus.
Erectile dysfunction (ED) can be the result of physical or psychological causes or both. Discover what causes ED and what treatments are available.
Fatigue and widespread pain are common with fibromyalgia, a condition affecting mainly women. Treatment often focuses on managing symptoms with medication and self-care.
Indigestion can ruin meals and make you feel uncomfortable. Take steps to prevent symptoms like upset stomach, bloating and pain.
Frequent urination and pelvic pain may indicate interstitial cystitis, a chronic bladder inflammation. There's no cure, but some treatments offer relief.
Interstitial lung disease causes scarring in the air sacs in the lungs, making breathing more difficult.
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a digestive disorder that can cause abdominal pain, gas, diarrhea and constipation. Eating more fiber and exercising can help.
It's natural to worry about labor pain. Ease your mind by considering various approaches to relieving labor pain.
Seizures, headaches and memory loss can be the troubling symptoms of this slow-growing tumor. Find out more.
Menopause means an end to fertility, but you can stay healthy, vital and sexual.
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer closely linked to asbestos exposure. Find out the signs and symptoms of malignant mesothelioma and how to protect yourself.
A migraine isn't an ordinary headache. In addition to severe head pain, it can cause nausea, vomiting, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound.
Morning sickness is common in pregnancy. Learn what to expect and how to relieve your symptoms.
Overactive bladder is a problem with bladder function that causes a sudden urge to urinate and may even lead to incontinence.
Parkinson's disease can cause problems with walking, swallowing, balance and coordination. Although there's no cure, drug and surgical therapies can effectively treat symptoms.
Peripheral neuropathy symptoms can range from annoying to disabling. Learn how to deal with the burning, numbness and tingling.
Phantom pain occurs in limbs that have been amputated, but how can something that's not there hurt?
Living through a traumatic event can leave lasting scars. Medications, therapy and coping skills can help you regain a sense of control.
Prostatitis, inflammation of the prostate gland, can cause significant male pelvic pain and other symptoms.
Rebound headaches — Is your pain medication causing more headaches than it cures?
All teens feel down from time to time. But if negative feelings persist or start to interfere with daily life, it might be depression.
Trigeminal neuralgia is a very painful condition of a large nerve that provides sensation to most of your face. Treatment involves medications and, sometimes, surgery.
Ulcerative colitis is a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) — a serious inflammation of the digestive tract that can cause abdominal pain and diarrhea.
Whiplash is a neck injury often linked to auto accidents. Discover which treatments work and which don't.
Jan. 25, 2012
- Acupuncture for pain. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/acupuncture/acupuncture-for-pain.htm. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Acupuncture. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Ahn AC. Acupuncture. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Nov. 21, 2011.
- Bauer BA. Mayo Clinic Book of Alternative Medicine. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2007:106.
- Mao JJ, et al. Acupuncture in primary Care. Primary Care Clinics in Office Practice. 2010;37:105.
- Barrows K. Acupuncture. In: McPhee SJ, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2010. 50th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- Acupuncture. North American Spine Society. http://www.knowyourback.org/Pages/Treatments/AlternativeMedicine/Acupuncture.aspx. Accessed Nov. 22, 2011.
- AskMayoExpert. What happens during an acupuncture session? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2011.
- Martin DP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 5, 2011.