Many men who choose active surveillance for prostate cancer never undergo prostate cancer treatment. The cancer may never grow, and these men may live out their normal life spans.
But some men may choose to treat their prostate cancer if:
- The cancer begins growing faster than expected
- The cancer spreads outside a confined area within the prostate
- The cancer causes signs and symptoms
Treatment options for prostate cancer depend on your particular situation, but may include surgery, medications and radiation.
Nov. 03, 2016
- Wein AJ, et al. Active surveillance of prostate cancer. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 21, 2016.
- Prostate cancer. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed July 13, 2016.
Active surveillance for prostate cancer